Living and Sleeping Quarters 

  • A private home, a room used or directly opening into a room used as living or sleeping quarters may not be used to conduct retail food establishment operations. 
  • On premises living and sleeping quarters provided for lodging registration clerks or resident managers must be separated from rooms and areas used for Retail Food Establishment operations. 

Type of Retail Food Establishment 

Identifying the type of retail food establishment and any additional operations involved with the retail food establishment is a part of the application process. 

  • Restaurant: Quick serve, fast casual, deli, convenience store, ice cream parlor, full service, buffet, commissary, take-out, shared use, etc. 
  • Institution: School cafeteria, jail, correctional facility, hospitals, nursing facilities, etc. 
  • Grocery Store (with food preparation areas): Meat market, seafood market, deli department, bakery department, produce department, etc. 
  • Mobile Food (must be associated with a commissary): Pushcart, food truck, food trailer, etc.

For additional operations, see R. 61-25, Chapter 9, Standards for Additional Retail Food Establishment Operations.

Drinking Water Supply 

Drinking water supply must be under pressure to all fixtures and equipment and from an approved source that is: 

  • A public water system of a city, town or other municipality, or 
  • A public water system (such as a well), constructed for use by the retail food establishment. 
  • Of sufficient capacity to meet peak water demands.

Providing information on the drinking water supply is a part of the application process. 

Backflow Prevention (Water) 

To protect the drinking water supply from contamination by questionable water, chemicals or other source of pollution, a method of backflow prevention must be provided at each point of use at the retail food establishment.

Backflow prevention may be achieved by: